CBOTB

Friday, August 30, 2013

Universal Visual Supports Binder

This post is likely more geared toward OTs, other professionals and OT students working with kids who require or would benefit from visual supports.  Often times, kids already have visual supports in place when they have already been in school the year prior to starting a new grade.  However, there are those kids that are preschool level, just entering kindergarten or who may have transferred in to your school district from another state or town and do not come with visual supports in place.  Case in point: Just had a little kindergarten guy who is on the autism spectrum move to one of my schools from another state.  His IEP stated that he used visual supports, but they did not accompany him to his new school.  So, new to kindergarten, new to the school and staff and no clear way for him or for us to know how to communicate best, how to transition from one activity to another and/or what to expect. Super smart little guy, though!  So, this was one of those times where it was very nice for me to have my book of "universal" type visual supports that I take with me everywhere I go.  Even when kids do have their own visual support system in place, those visuals may not include the types of things that I use in my interactions with them.  Things like:


Crayons, markers, pencils, glue, glue stick, scissors, paper, etc.

This was great for when we were following along with what the teacher was instructing in the classroom.  "Take out your scissors"- hand the child the picture card of the scissors so that he/she knows what is expected of them.  Kids with auditory processing problems may not process the request and then follow through on their own, but can do so with a visual.

I also use various concepts regularly, such as:

Color words, shapes, numbers, white board, etc

 Movement/actions:  catch, throw, stand up, sit down, up, down, over, under, jump, etc.

Various verbal commands: yes, no, stop, no hitting, help, please, etc.
Also: activities such as blowing bubbles, massage, puzzles, play time, wash hands, use bathroom, etc.

I personally make my own visual cards using Boardmaker, and add them to my "universal binder". That way, I do not have to rely on the speech therapist to make visuals for me to use with the students we have in common, and I always have them available to me and for the kids.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment!