CBOTB

Monday, September 9, 2013

Busy Work and Learning to "Wait"

Remember in my last post where I said,  "It may be important to keep kids (with joint attention issues) engaged during "wait time" (periods of time when they are done with what they are doing, but are waiting for the rest of the class to finish up what they are working on)?  Well, if you followed along with that post, you know that I mentioned many different sensory based activities, but, there are times when even a little bit of "busy work" for a child to do at their seat can be helpful.  Not stuff that is hard or that even takes much effort, just something to "do."  Something constructive to pass the time and keep them engaged during "wait time." If any of you are familiar with folder activities, these are also good to have in your arsenal.  See http://www.filefolderfun.com/  for access to free printables for folder activities.  I also make up some of my own stuff and leave them in classrooms for aides and teachers to just give to kids as they wait for classroom transitions.  Here are a few examples of some that I have made:


I copied and then laminated numbers to trace with a vis a vis or dry erase marker.  I punched a hole in the top and connected them all with a loose leaf book ring clasp.  This I made for a kindergarten student who loves numbers, but who was forming them with random strokes.  When he has some "wait time" to fill, he can practice tracing his numbers while his other classmates are finishing up what they are doing.


I copied, cut out and then laminated a worksheet of numbers to sequence.  I put velcro on each piece and on the worksheet so that the kids can sequence the numbers.  Pulling off the pieces from the velcro is a tactile sensory experience that some kids really like.  I did not color them, because coloring them with colored dry erase markers is another activity that can be used as a time filler.


Here's another similar example:


I added a loose leaf book ring to make these 2 items into an activity booklet.
I use a lot of worksheets and reproducibles from Carson-Dellosa Publishing.  I have several of their books for different age groups, and I have used them repeatedly for years.  Check out their web site at: http://www.carsondellosa.com/cd2/default.aspx

Here's another visual that I made up myself and have used to help kids learn to "wait":


When the red light is on, it is work time.  No getting up and leaving the desk.  


When the yellow light is on, it is wait time.  They are waiting at their desk.  Of course the green light then would mean that they can leave the desk area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment!